Old Yardleians RFC: Club News

Yards 1sts dominate possession but not the scoreboard

Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:55

Opposition: Veseyans (Away) Result: Veseyans 27 - OY's 12

13th Feb 2010

In this return match away to Veseyans at Streetly, the pattern of the game more or less matched that of the previous meeting between the two sides at Tilehouse Lane, when OY's dictated the set pieces, enjoying a majority of possession, whilst Veseyans showed a distinct edge in attacking threequarter play and support, both sides being well matched in loose play. In the event, the home sides attacking flair, taking advantage of positions gained from easy ball too often gifted to them by casual kicking from hand, was the difference between the two sides.

From kick off, with the OY's playing down the hill, Veseyans applied early pressure and spent most of the first twenty minutes or so in the OY's half. Despite this territory, OY's defence was sound, with the backs and the covering back row looking solid. OY's were winning most of the set piece possession, driving the home side off their scrum ball at regular intervals. However the OY's could not move the ball into the Veseyans half, and ball kicked away was usually carried straight back. 

After 25 minutes, OY's were unlucky to lose one of their principal ball carriers; lock Phil Painter, to a neck injury, and the pack was reshuffled to accommodate P Butler in the front row. With the OY's scrum now even more formidable, advantage was taken on 40 minutes when the Veseyans, having conceded a scrum close to their own line, were rammed back on the put in and over their line. An attempt to kill the ball with a hand in the scrum gave the referee no option but to award a penalty try, and with Jamie Walton adding the conversion the half closed at 7 – 0 to the OY's. This was one of very few scoring chances in the half for the visitors, and it was unfortunate a few minutes earlier that a golden opportunity arising once again from solid scrummaging was missed when a scoring pass to Adam Walker in the clear on the blindside wing failed due to mistiming.

Turning round, up the slope, the restart saw the visitors immediately under pressure, and the type of move previously dealt with by the OY's defence was allowed to develop through poor first line tackling and give the home side an unconverted try after two minutes.

Veseyans now began all out attack with the ball, or without the ball to pressure the OY's possession to force errors, or kicks away from hand, which were collected and developed into further attacks. The OY's were again forced to defend, with B Honey, S Grainger, J Patrick and J Walton putting in some effective work. Spoiling tactics led to the game becoming scrappy, but inevitably, a second try, on the cards for some time, was scored after 12 minutes following a break through the centre to put the home side into the lead at 12 – 7

At 18 minutes, second row D Langley, who had played soundly throughout, gave way to A Purdey to inject additional pace into the back row, and to stifle the Veseyans backs.

On 22 minutes, and winning rare ball on their put in, a Veseyans No 8 pickup resulted in the OY's being penalised for killing the ball in the tackle and conceding a further three points.

The score moved on to 22 – 7 after 27 minutes, when again fed loose ball from wayward kicking under pressure, the Veseyans backs swept upfield and, aided by some weak tackling, a well taken try was scored by the right winger, again unconverted.

At the 30 minute mark, Jamie Walton was replaced at Stand off by S Richards, who seized his opportunity in an assured manner when some rare quick ball enabled him to get the back line going forward with some momentum. A break in the centre put Andy Pearce away with space and the ball was taken to and held on the Veseyans line. Great support recycled the ball to Ben Honey in midfield who made a further break in front of the posts before timing a perfect pass to put Guy Smith in for a well deserved try, scored wide out.

Encouraged, the OY's stayed on top for the next few minutes, but eight minutes later, Veyseyans again made good use of possession and round off the match with a sweeping threequarter move that resulted in their fourth try of the match, this time converted to bring the final score to 27 – 12 to the home side.

Although losing on the day by a well drilled, fit and skilfully organised side lying second in the league, OY's were to a large extent architects of their own downfall, allowing, at too many stages in the match, a constant supply of good possession from a dominant pack to be somewhat aimlessly kicked away with few chasing, and then failing to maintain a solid first line of defence in the face of the inevitable counter attack

Meanwhile, our Development xv took on the might of Kidderminster and gained a 29-12 victory.  Tries were scored by Rob Willis x2, Lee Couples and man of the match, Mart Henshall.  Steady Ralph kicked the rest of the points.  Welcome to another new player, Ieuan Male, brother of skipper, Ellwyn.  This could be a case of a double yolker!  (Backs might work this out, forwards don't bother!).

News from the younger lads

The under 14s (Pricey's Boys)  took on Nuneaton, apparently we were expected to be way out of our depth, but we certainly gave them a good workout, narrowly losing 22-12.

News from the previous week, Shannon informs me, that our under 16s who have been struggling for wins managed to beat The Exiles by a lot of points to nil!  Well done lads and coaches.

Quiz night

Don't forget.  Thursday 4th March, 7.30 - 9.30  teams of up to 6,  £2 for adults,  £1 for students.  If its well supported we'll do them monthly or so. 

Submit News Articles

Interested in helping to administer this site?
Contact Shannon for details.

Submit a news item to:
Shannon or Dave Adams